Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Worth More Dead than Alive

Although the families of the victims of the Oklahoma City bombing received nothing, 9/11 became a cash cow, at least for certain families. The families of workers at Windows on the World got very little, for example. Partners of gay and lesbian victims received nothing. But Kathy Trant, whose husband worked for Cantor Fitzgerald, made out big time, and her response has been to go on a shopping spree:

KATHY TRANT, LOST HUSBAND IN 9/11 ATTACK: First of all, this is not 9/11 cash, it's my cash. I signed on the dotted line for money for my family because my husband was murdered by terrorists.

SCARBOROUGH: But they say that you blew $5 million. We talked before you came on the air here, and you actually said that your children get $2.5 million of it. You invested in $1.5 million in real estate, your own home, also, which of course has been appreciating. So where do they get this $5 million figure from?

TRANT: That's how much money I got all together.
...
Every day, when I read something that really bothers me, I start making about 100 phone calls a day. When I get nowhere, I get so frustrated, I go out and I shop, because it's the only thing that makes me feel good, because I run into a brick wall with city hall.

I suspect it is only a matter of time before we start hearing of victims' families who have blown their entire pile of compensation money and are broke.

This woman needs to get a job or a hobby or something. Going on spending sprees will never replace her husband, and will never heal the wounds of 9/11.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home