Thursday, August 25, 2005

He's Sorry All Right

America's home-grown version of Mullah Omar, Pat Robertson, at first tried to claim that he didn't use the "A" word:

“I didn’t say 'assassination.’ I said our special forces should ’take him out,”’ Robertson said on his show. “’Take him out’ could be a number of things including kidnapping.”

Trouble is, he did use the "A" word:

“You know, I don’t know about this doctrine of assassination, but if he thinks we’re trying to assassinate him, I think that we really ought to go ahead and do it. It’s a whole lot cheaper than starting a war, and I don’t think any oil shipments will stop.”

"Take him out" may mean a couple things - I, mind you, don't think it does - but "assassinate" has exactly one definition. Thou shalt not kill, unless one calls it an assassination, apparently. Robertson, dear pal of dictators everywhere, then choked out this excuse for an apology:

“Is it right to call for assassination?” Robertson said. “No, and I apologize for that statement. I spoke in frustration that we should accommodate the man who thinks the U.S. is out to kill him.”

Of course Chavez' paranoia is probably based in reality. God knows what Robertson's excuse is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home